I used to be so good at coming up with crafts and fun activities with my oldest. I was the typical overachieving first time mom. Daily we would paint, make a fun craft, or engage in some type of educational and creative play. Let’s just say I had a lot of energy and creativity built up from all of my experience as a preschool teacher and speech therapy student. I was a “crafty mom” and was thrilled when my daughter would ask what fun project we were going to do that day.
Fast forward three yeas later when my son was born. Bye bye, energy. I hardly knew ye. Creativity? Pfft! What’s that?
Long gone were the days of fun craft projects, sensory bins, and science experiments. I’m not sure what happened to be honest, but I just don’t have it in me anymore. Now when my kids want to do a craft project, they get coloring books, scissors, paper, crayons, and paint and I say, “Have at it!” I’m just out of ideas, and truthfully it stresses me having to come up with new activities.
Summer is here now, and we are done with our “curriculum” for the year, but I was searching for something to keep them engaged and keep their brains from turning mushy before we start our new curriculum for first grade.
Then suddenly the clouds parted and a new friend came into my life. Green Kid Crafts: A mom’s best friend. Crafts, science, and nature activities delivered right to my door. Did I mention all of the supplies are included? No work for this tired mama! All the work is done for me. We just open the box and start having fun.
Only a momma could come up with something like this. Penny, the founder, is a mom herself. She knows that moms like me don’t have the energy or time to come up with cohesive activities and crafts that are fun, engaging, and educational. She knows that we hate digging through broken crayons, empty glue bottles, and various art supplies to find the tools we need to complete the project. She knows that kids need to get outside, get dirty, be creative, and learn by hands on experience.
Penny, the owner, gave us a discovery box to review. Truthfully I was a bit skeptical when I got the small green box in the mail. How could all of those materials fit in that tiny little box? My daughter wasn’t in the least bit skeptical though. She was thrilled that she got her very own package in the mail! Momma got major points just for that. It’s the little things isn’t it?
We received the botany box, which included the following:
- Plant press and herbarium
- Botanist kit and shadow box
- Botanical printmaking book
I was extremely impressed with the ease of activities, but that they were engaging, educational, and fun for both my three year old and five year old.
Here are some pictures of the above activities we did.
One of my favorite things about this kit was that it encouraged my kids to get outside and explore. The activities weren’t just art projects, but activities that required thinking, exploration of nature, and creativity. My children love the outdoors, so this was right up our alley.
Other fun facts about Green Kid Crafts
- Green Kid Crafts delights over ten thousand kids across North America each month with fun, creative and eco-friendly craft and STEM activities (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics), delivered right to their door through the company’s subscription program!
- Every month’s Discovery Box is packed with 3-4 unique and engaging activity kits designed to foster a child’s creativity and confidence while helping to raise the nation’s next generation of creative leaders.
- Green Kid Crafts’ Creativity Kits, STEM Science Kits, and monthly Discovery Boxes are developed by teachers, crafty moms, and STEM experts to support key developmental skills for kids ages 3-10.
- Each month brings a new theme; past themes have included Mad Scientist, Nocturnal Animals, Around the World, Outer Space, and Feathered Friends.
- Their products have won a variety of awards including Dr. Toy’s Best Green Products of 2013, PTPA Seal of Approval, a recommendation from Parents’ Choice, MACT Excellence and MACT Green Awards and Red Tricycle’s Award for Most Awesome Subscription Service.
- Green Kid Crafts is certified carbon neutral, Green America Approved, a member of 1% for the Planet, and has won numerous awards and designations for its responsible business practices. You can also read more about our “eco ingredients” online.
- The company also offers single Discovery Boxes, Creativity Kits, Science Kits, and Birthday Party activities and favors.
I’m excited to start my subscription this summer to receive a new box each month. I know my kids will be excited to get their own box in the mail as they anticipate what we will be learning and creating together. Summer doesn’t have to be a time for children’s brains to turn to mush. Green Kid Crafts has our backs when it comes to engaging activities for kids this summer.
To get your hands on your own Green Kid Crafts, there are a couple of ways:
1. Enter the giveaway below to potentially win a discovery box to try. Your kids will love it! GO ENTER for your chance to win!
2. Purchase: You can purchase right now if you have been searching for something low maintenance to do with your kids this summer like me. Subscriptions are available in month-to-month, 3, 6 and 12 month durations, and also make great gifts! Subscriptions start at $16.95 / month, and sibling subscriptions are also available. Order at Green Kid Crafts
I personally think the Summer Discover Pack looks awesome, and is what I plan to purchase for my family.
Full Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Green Kid Crafts. The opinions and photos are my own. I only endorse companies and products I 100% love, believe in, and support my mission. I feel privileged to be able to share these great companies with my readers to make an impact in the real food and natural health world.