Peppers are not the most frugal vegetable out there. Have you noticed the prices of them in the store? They can be outrageous often over a dollar a pepper. I also like to buy organic peppers since the conventional varieties are typically heavily sprayed. Don’t even get me started on how hard it is to find organic peppers in my area, and even worse at an affordable price.
For this reason, peppers ALWAYS make my list of vegetables that I grow in the summer. A fairly expensive food like peppers becomes frugal when they come directly from the garden. They are certainly a special summer treat that frequently grace our table in the form of fajitas and toppings on pizza.
My absolute favorite thing to do with them though is to make Italian stuffed peppers. I look forward to them every single year with anticipation, so you can imagine how giddy I was last week when my first peppers were big enough to pick. We don’t usually get to harvest peppers until July, so mid-June peppers was almost like an early birthday present. My how times have changed when Tara picks a purple pepper and it makes her heart go pitter patter.
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 lb. ground beef
- ¼ cup onions, diced
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ cup fresh herbs (oregano, thyme, rosemary, parsley)
- 1 clove garlic, minced or pressed
- ½ cup tomato sauce, strained tomatoes, etc, divided
- 4-6 large bell peppers, any color
- 1 cup tomato sauce or jarred strained tomatoes
- ¼ cup chopped herbs(oregano, thyme, rosemary, parsley)
- 1 clove garlic minced or pressed
- salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut peppers in half lengthwise, and lay in baking dish.
- For a milder onion flavor, saute onions for a few minutes until tender. This is an optional step.
- Mix together rice, ground beef, onions, salt, herbs, 1 clove garlic, and ½ cup tomato sauce.
- Fill peppers generously.
- For the sauce, mix 1 cup of tomato sauce, ¼ cup chopped fresh herbs, 1 cloves minced garlic, and salt to taste.
- Pour sauce in bottom of a 9x13 baking dish.
- Place stuffed peppers on top.
- Bake at 350 for approx. 40 mins. or until internal temperature has reached 160 degrees F.
- When serving, pour sauce on top of peppers. Top with mozzarella cheese if desired.